Tuesday, June 6, 2017

my heart belongs to Paris

I admit to getting a little weak in the knees over all things French. It probably comes from fond memories of traveling to France with my husband, and who doesn't love a country where there's such a variety of public markets every day - antiques markets, flower markets, produce markets, even a bird market. My idea of heaven.

There's lots to see and do, but some of the best "seeing" is people watching while sipping a coffee at one of Paris' cafes or bistros. Maybe that's why I'm particularly fond of French pyrogen (or pyrogene as some say) match strikes. I've found many styles of them but recently found one that may well be my favorite, probably because it's a bit of a mystery and, I think, quite rare.

It reads "Plassard aine Distilleurs Cassis Surfin La Clayette (Saone & Loire)", in green and black lettering

Like many pyrogen, it advertises a liqueur

Pay dirt! an old postcard with our maker (Plassard) advertising Cassis

So from our post card we can determine that the distillery was founded in 1855; the clothing and automobiles date it to the first quarter of the 20th century. La Clayette is a commune in the SaƓne-et-Loire department in the region of Bourgogne in eastern France. What a stroke of luck to stumble upon this post card!

A pyrogen match strike striker is exactly what it sound like it is; matches were kept in the top well to be struck against the ridged part of the strike. There are many varieties, all popular with collectors; I snap them up whenever I find them. This one is listed here in my Etsy shop.

I'll also be adding this group of French oak and brass small pitchers which were used for cider, wine or ale. As charming as can be - mais oui! - they are French!!

Coming this week to my Etsy shop
So as we say in French - Au Revoir! Abientot! - marilyn

1 comment:

  1. I learned something new - thank you! Your article was very interesting!

    ReplyDelete