Thursday, June 15, 2017

find of the week - a weakness for primitive antiques

Some people are glass people or pottery people. If I had to categorize myself, I'd probably have to say I'm a wood person. Give me a good dough bowl any day. Perhaps it comes from my first exposure to antiques being in eastern Pennsylvania where wood and antiques are virtually synonymous.

The picture tells the whole story for me. And even though these pieces were found separately, they speak to one another quite nicely. And they appeal to my sense of simplicity. Iron and wood.


The shovel has its origins in Maine. Carved from one piece of wood, it has two make do iron repairs that give it even more character than it already has.

The bucket on the left is also early New England. You can see that the lip has a curve on it which indicates that it would have been used as a scoop. On the back of the handle are carved the initials T.G. Wow.

The tall bucket is most likely European in origin. Maybe French but also perhaps Eastern European. My instinct tells me it was used for carrying water. With a handle on the top, it has a great look.

Find these in my Etsy shop. Find me on the road! - marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment