Tuesday, March 7, 2017

happy March - find of the week!

If you've looked at my Etsy shop SophisticatedFlorida, you already know that my style can be referred to as eclectic. I think of it as a modern mix, and a design philosophy that puts together things that might not seem congruent but which share elements that allow them to cohabit beautifully. So I'm happy browsing through the mid century, Hollywood Regency, modern, Chinoiserie objects that are the "norm" in antiquing in Florida.

But it's when I find folk art, or New England primitives, or found object Americana that I am brought back to my roots of collecting, and nothing makes me quite as happy as a story (or the opportunity to create one). So it won't surprise you that I snapped up this piece when I found it, or that it's the Find of the Week.

1933 Square Dance poster, listed here in my Etsy shop

There are so many levels on which this speaks to me. I love good graphics (on anything) and this poster really has great design to it. And not only has someone saved it, it's been framed in wrapped copper, simple and rustic, in keeping with the poster's style. But here's the real thrill. On the back, handwritten in pencil, is Edw Knecht 1933. What do you suppose the story is? Chance encounter that led to romance? A memory of a cherished date? The signature of a dance partner? I could get carried away weaving a tale.

American or English? I don't know. The location could lead you to believe either. And it doesn't really matter. The charm of the piece requires nothing more than its possibilities. Give me a find like this any day!

I hope your week is filled with wonderful, unexpected moments, the kind stories are made of. - marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment