Saturday, June 4, 2016

be yourself

I'm not much of a social media person. I admit it. But I've been doing it; I'm keeping my hand in. I've taken up Pinterest - www.pinterest.com/VintageFlorida/, and I'm a regular on Instagram
www.instagram.com/sophisticatedvintageflorida, but beyond that, I'm not in the game. If you need me, you can always find me fiddling away in my Etsy shop. 

Selling anywhere, online or brick and mortar, means staying on top of trends, so I find myself perusing many photos on those sites, and the ones I'm always drawn to are the folks who are mixing it up. Gold Italian mirror on a turquoise painted mantel with peonies in a McCoy matte white vase. That's style, to me. And it takes a certain boldness to follow your own style, but it's absolutely the key to having a home that "works", that feels authentic from the minute you walk in the door.

A friend said the other day "I like to come over to your house and look around". She couldn't have paid me a higher compliment. The things we have - whether it's furniture or objects - we have because they speak to us. We've thoughtfully acquired all of them over time and with intention. We place them, we move them, we freshen them up. They give us joy.

It's been my mission to bring the same process to my Etsy shop. So now, instead of buying as I see things at a shop or show, I'll make a list, walk around, consider and then edit. I find I'm buying less, but I'm always happy with what I've found. 

My point? Be yourself. Don't buy it because it's "in" or buy quickly to fill a space.The right piece will come, with patience. Buy what you love. You might ask if it really goes with what you already have. Trust me, it will. Because it speaks to you, it's a reflection of you. That's what makes it all work. I'm writing on my French country desk next to my modern sofa sitting on an oriental carpet with a linen wing back chair, a turquoise leather slipper chair with nailhead trim, and a side table created from a garden stool and a mirrored platform with antiqued gold iron flowers. Mid century and outsider art sketches hang next to 19th century French schoolgirl watercolors. Everyone wants to hang out here. I know.

Here's what I've found lately. Maybe some of it will speak to you.

two 1940s French oyster baskets in chippy paint
  
vintage english seltzer bottle and mid century chrome card suit ashtrays
lacquerware pencil box and chinoiserie tray

victorian faux bois fruit set
mid century F lle Mannelli travertine rhinocerous bookends for Raymor
Buy what you love. Be yourself. Thanks for stopping by - marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment