Saturday, October 28, 2017

the turkey platter that wasn't

Life in the antiques biz is never boring. And often it isn't even what you're expecting. An estate sale you've been saving for for weeks turns up only a couple of things. A shop or booth or show where you've always found things, on some days yields nothing. Truth be told, hunting for good items can sometimes be a little challenging, and on those days its hard not to get discouraged.

One of the best lessons I learned a while back is the value of being flexible, of being open to letting go of what you thought you wanted and embracing the things that find you. It's a lesson that pops up regularly, and it often causes me to change my focus just slightly so that instead of coming home with the ordinary I come home with something a little more special.

This week the lesson took the form of the turkey platter that wasn't. It started with a bunch of shaggy brown sunflowers I bought, that were just crying out to be in a photo vignette. So I headed out looking for a vintage turkey platter because, well, that's what you do at this time of year. One estate sale and a couple of shops later, I came upon a mid century platter by Shafford China from the Primitive Collection line. The image of a horse, almost prancing, in an almost cave-drawing motif was unexpected, fresh and modern. And, needless to say, it looks great with those sunflowers.

mid century platter, available here in my etsy shop
 By the way, there's now a page on the blog with links that takes you directly to each of my online shops: Etsy, Chairish and Ruby Lane, each a little different in its offerings but with the same quality vintage finds we're known for.

Hope to see you there soon! Peace out - marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment