Monday, February 20, 2017

find of the week - february 20

Heads up - late New Year's resolution: blog weekly. So I'm starting with a Find of the Week post.

Last week was the February extravaganza at Renninger's in Mount Dora, Florida. (News alert: I'll be going to the April Renninger's extravaganza in Kutztown, Pennsylvania with Sophisticated Vintage partner on the hunt, Ellen, but I'm getting ahead of myself!)

Now, for the Find of the Week...it's tough because there were a lot of good ones, but in the end it comes down to this antique table top size Tansu.

The Tansu chest originated in Japan in the late 1600s. They were subsequently produced in Korea and other Asian countries as well, and continue to be produced today in a wide variety of styles and forms.

Tansu were often designed to be portable; you may hear them referred to as "campaign chests" which accompanied military officers in their travels. Pieces could be simple or elaborate, often with secret compartments and drawers. There's a very comprehensive article about Tansu here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tansu (thanks, Wikipedia).

I have had Tansu in many styles pass through my hands, from large, two piece cabinets to smaller chests such as this one which would have stored important things (see the lock on the bottom drawer). Easily adapting to contemporary life, this small chest can hold jewelry, desk objects... Simple and beautifully made, with iron handles in a shape often seen on Tansu.

I don't often find Tansu, particularly not this well made or in this small size, so it seems only fitting that it should be the first Find of the Week.

This weekend I'm off to the antiques show in Vero Beach, Florida. It only happens twice a year so I'm looking forward to it!

There. I've done it. The first Find of the Week post. That wasn't so hard!! Hope your week is filled with fun finds and kindness. See you next week! - marilyn


No comments:

Post a Comment