Thursday, August 27, 2015

Trend alert - Eating in is IN!

Just read on the Etsy blog - Trend for Fall 2015 - Eating In! Well, there's certainly a trend I can get behind, or am I a little ahead??

A few posts ago I shared with you my love of monogrammed silver-y things for the table, and I've been pleased to add to the shop several finds from our northern road trip that fit right in to the latest shop category - Sophisticated Table. From rustic to modern to rustic modern, we're all about setting a fabulous table for eating in. A few photos of what's in our Etsy shop:

a hotel silver pitcher, hotel silver monogrammed food dome (perfect for a cheese course), and a Chase art deco napkin holder with ball feet and bakelite handle. Charming, all!

an oak and copper wine pitcher, miniature tobacco basket (that's perfect for bread or fruit on the table) and two miniature horn cups, lovely with a few posies!

fabulous - and large! - mid century bamboo tray with carved wood handle and rim, shown with a french pottery bird pitcher - a wonderful combination!
vintage souvenir lobster cocktail picks - 21 to be exact - in a little crock
three little wicker baskets with galvanized tin liners - perfect for little bouquets on the table
This weekend I'm off to the Waterbury (Vermont) flea market, a place I first started going to in the late 1980s. It'll be fun to see what's to be found there. Of course the big finds may yet be ahead of me as we head to the Brimfield Antiques Market on Labor Day. Great finds and great friends - perfect!

Meanwhile, it's never too early to start thinking about setting your table. And if you'll permit me to tell a story...my grandparents received some silver(plated) flatware as a wedding present. My grandmother started packing it up to put away and my grandfather asked "What are you doing?", to which she replied "Putting it away. It's for special.". My grandfather's response? "No one will ever be more special at our table than us and our family. This is for us to use and enjoy." And enjoy they did.

Perhaps this explains the pleasure I get from using old silvery things on my table - for family and for "special". No one is more special than family and friends. Bon Apetit to you and yours.


No comments:

Post a Comment